info


Neue Galerie

The original museum—formerly named as the “Königliche Gemäldegalerie” and, after 1950, the “Alte Galerie”—was built between 1871 and 1877 in classicist style by Heinrich von Dehn-Rotfelser and used to host the landgraves’ collection of old masters. Destroyed during World War II, it was rebuilt in 1964 and reopened in 1976 as the Neue Galerie. It exhibits sculpture, painting and 301 Moved Permanently new media art from the nineteenth century to the present.
 
The Neue Galerie was used as a venue by documenta 3–7 (1964–1982), documenta 9, 1992, as well as by documenta 12 in 2007. After renovation and redesign of the rooms by the Berlin-based Büro Staab Architekten, it reopened in November 2011.

Photo: Nils Klinger

ADDRESS /
Schöne Aussicht 1
34117 Kassel

TRAM /
number 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, and RT4, RT5
stop: Rathaus

  • Menu
  • Menu
  • Menu
  • Menu
print